Thursday, September 6, 2007

Something to that Royal Army

So once in a while you have an experience that at the time seems to carry great impact. You feel it and you appreciate it, not understanding fully how it will effect your future. I had such an experience last Sunday evening and now after about my 4th "Holy Cow" I thought it was time to share it. Sunday evening was just like any other. Around nine a clock we head over to the ward house for a little ward prayer. It is something I look forward to. We have been drawing record crowds and that obviously speaks to the kind of feeling the kids get being around one another and gaining a little spiritual muscle as they prepare for the week, and I am no different. I appreciate the boost. We usually sing a hymn, have a thought and kneel while someone prays in behalf of the group. I should say at this point that we had a new kid playing the piano, I'll call him Curtis, and he had some obvious enthusiasm for our hymn that night. It was "Behold a Royal Army" hymn #251 for those of you following along. As I sat there I could tell something was different. Take a note, I'm not the king of spiritual sensitivity but there was a stirring that was quickly filling the room, one that even I could feel. We sang all three verses and with each verse this feeling grew. Something about singing Victory, Victory through him that redeemed us, was just having an incredible impact on me. After it was over I wanted to sing it all over again. I looked around and couldn't tell if anyway was feeling the way I was, but the way I felt it didn't matter. I was hooked. I hummed it or whistled it the rest of that evening, wrapped up the day in normal fashion and went to bed.
I naturally assume that experiences like that disapear in the rigors of our daily lives once we reengage on Monday. Just another great experience to chalk up to Sabbath Day observance. Not so.
Four different times this week I have been at some kind of personal cross-road. Some decision needing to be made. Nothing that is going to make much difference to anyone else but 4 that would surely make a difference for me. Each time as I sat thinking, Behold a Royal Army came to me and each time with the same level of feeling and impact it had on Sunday evening. Each time it pointed me in the better of the directions I had to choose from. I haven't had my mind on that song all week. Its not like I had been singing it so it was a natural process of thought. No, it was a gift. A gift 4 times over in fact, and what a difference it has made. It made me thankful and it made me humble and I had a distinct feeling that someone cared. It was quite a feeling. I have never really considered myself much of a soldier but I sure do now.

Behold! a royal army,
With banner, sword and shield,
Are marching forth to conquer,
On life’s great battlefield;
Its ranks are filled with soldiers,
United, bold and strong,
Who followed their Commander,
And sing their joyful song.

Chorus

Victory, victory,
Thro’ Him that redeemed us!
Victory, victory,
Thro’ Jesus Christ our Lord!
Victory, victory, victory,
Thro’ Jesus Christ our Lord!

And now the foe, advancing,
That valiant host assails,
And yet they never falter,
Their courage never fails;
Their Leader calls, “Be faithful!”
They pass the word along,
They see His signal flashing,
And shout the joyful song.

Chorus

Oh, when the war is ended,
When strife and conflict cease,
When all are safely gathered
Within the vale of peace,
Before the King eternal,
That vast and mighty throng
Shall praise His Name forever,
And this shall be their song.

2 comments:

David Lesue said...

Great post. Every once in a while, certain hymns really get to me.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I was blog-hopping, and I'm so glad I came acrossed this entry. Thank you for sharing you thoughts:)